Code 404

The Volkswagen Club of Western Australia (Inc) has been granted permission by the Department of Transport to provide Concessional Club Licence facilities to its members. This provides a significant savings on vehicle licensing costs, especially if you have a number of eligible vehicles.


Firstly please read the Code 404 Handbook. This will give you all the rules to help you decide if your vehicle is able to be concessionally licenced, and if the necessary restrictions imposed will suit your use of the vehicle.

There are also FAQ’s that give a brief overview.


As the owner of the vehicle the onus is on you to ensure your vehicle remains compliant whilst concessionally licensed this includes keeping it unmodified and remaining a financial member of the club.

If your membership lapses your vehicle will not be licensed for road use and you will be liable for the Licence fee for the period you are not a member.


Contact the clubs Concessional Licensing officer to arrange for your vehicle to be inspected. Once your vehicle has been inspected and approved you will be supplied with a Certificate of Financial Membership form (CMC1).

Before attending a DVS centre you will also need to complete Form E81. Download the FORM E81 here.

Licensed vehicles

If the vehicle is currently licensed applications can be forwarded by mail to the address shown below, or submitted in-person at any Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional Agent.

The application must be supported by the following:Code 404

  • Current vehicle licence papers.
  • Completed ‘Vintage/Veteran/Post Vintage/Invitation Class Vehicle Licence Concession Application’ (Form E81).
  • Completed ‘Certification of Financial Membership’ (CMC1 form)
  • Proof of identity.
Unlicensed vehicles

The application must be supported by the following:

  • Certificate of Inspection or MR number for the trailer/vehicle.
  • Proof of vehicle ownership, for example, receipt of purchase, or previous vehicle licence showing present owner’s name.
  • Proof of Identity, for example, driver’s licence or passport.
  • Completed ‘Vintage/Veteran/Post Vintage/Invitation Class Vehicle Licence Concession Application’ (Form E81).
  • Completed ‘Certification of Financial Membership’ (CMC1 form)
    Department of Transport, Concessions Section, GPO Box R1290, Perth WA 6488


Contact the clubs Concessional Licensing officer  to advise completion and purchase Historic plates to fit to your vehicle.



Frequently Asked Questions

(Click the arrows below to see answers)

DoT may require a Veteran, Vintage, Post Vintage or Invitational Class vehicle to undergo examination. Examination is not required in all circumstances and the fees associated with the examination may vary dependant on the type of examination required i.e. full or minor examination.

  • is not currently licensed, or vehicle licence has expired by more than three months.
  • is imported.

has previously been licensed as an ‘A’ class vehicle (conforms, in every respect, to the requirements of the vehicle standards)

You will have conditions applied to the vehicle licence which will restrict the use of your vehicle on public roads. This restricted use is reflected in the reduced fees and motor vehicle injury insurance premium payable.

You must confine the use of your vehicle to:

  • Any recorded event organised by an approved club. In normal circumstances, the event should be advertised in your club’s newsletter, magazine or website; however use of a vehicle participating in an impromptu event involving one, or more vehicles, may be acceptable, and must be recorded in your club’s official ‘Run Log’.
  • Please note: an ‘impromptu event’ does not include the use of a vehicle licensed with this concession (including motorcycles) to undertake a Practical Driving Assessment.
  • participating in rallies organised by approved historic motoring clubs,
  • participating in processions for which an Order for road closure has been made by the Commissioner of Police under s.81C of the Road Traffic Act 1974,
  • exhibiting the vehicle in displays, fetes or similar functions conducted for religious, charitable or educational purposes,
  • ceremonial purposes (weddings, formals, funerals) involving immediate family members, provided that:
  • the club of which they are a member has approved the use of the vehicle at the event;
  • the owner has received no payment or any other reward for supplying the vehicle; and
  • the event is recorded in the club’s log or minutes and a letter of approval from the club is carried in the vehicle for the duration of the event.
  • Preparing for, proceeding to, and returning from the above activities.
    Travel in order to have the vehicle repaired. A mechanic, restorer or authorised examiner may drive the vehicle for road-testing,
  • The vehicle licence holder may drive their vehicle for road testing or maintenance related trips within a 30 kilometre radius from the place where the vehicle is garaged or repaired. The purpose of the travel must be to road test the vehicle following repair, restoration or maintenance purposes and not for any other purpose.
  • In exceptional circumstances where a longer journey is necessary, such travel must be reasonable and justifiable by the vehicle operator. The member must notify their club to have these details recorded in either the club minutes or the official club ‘Run Log’. A letter of approval from the club is to be carried in the vehicle for the duration of the journey.
  • The vehicle cannot be used for general transport or to commute to or from the driver/owner’s place of employment.
  • If your motor vehicle is fitted with seats for 13 or more people (buses) you are NOT permitted to use the vehicle if receiving payment for the fare

Provided the vehicle is being used for an approved event, any appropriately licensed driver may drive the vehicle.
Please note: that an insurer may apply age restrictions on drivers.

No.  All vehicles eligible for a 404 concession must conform to the original manufacturer’s specifications. The only exception to this policy is those vehicles:

  • converted from LHD to RHD, providing the conversion complies with the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Modifications (VSB14).
  • fitted with LPG;
  • fitted with alternative period wheels i.e. wheels that were used in the same era as the vehicle’s age;
  • fitted with options that were available for the vehicle when new, provided all related components to the manufacturer’s original specification are also fitted e.g.6cyl to 8cyl engine option; or
  • fitted with indicators and brake lights (6-12v conversions accepted)